Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mama's Always On Stage




I was the only kid in the fourth grade who wore stockings with a seam up the back.  Granted, I drew it there myself with a magic marker, but in my opinion that makes it even more fabulous because I improvised, for Pete's sake!  Other kids thought I was a weirdo, but that was fine with me because a lot of them were rednecks and I knew even then, that crowd was not my target audience.  Years later, I became an entertainer. I sang in operas, acted in a Shakespeare play, and mostly performed in musical revue shows in dinner theaters and on cruise ships.  I loved it!  Until I didn't love it.   All of the sudden,  I started wanting "normal things"…

I was knocked sideways when I met Big Daddy, the love of my life, on a cruise ship where we worked together.  In 2005 I married him and gave birth to our baby boo.  Since these two momentous events were only about four months apart, I had to do some quick thinking to reinvent myself.  Since showgirls with big, pregnant bellies and giving birth at sea are both generally frowned upon, Big Daddy moved me to his hometown of Liverpool, England in the UK where he took care of me and our son: H-Man.  Our life in England was warm and lovely in many ways (well, it was less warm than it was lovely).  Alas, I am an American Girl at heart.  In 2007, Big Daddy agreed to move just outside my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee, USA, where I began my second career (let’s see: singer, actor, waitress…), excuse me, fourth career, as a music teacher. 

As if a new life, new job, and new house weren’t enough, Big D and I found out we were both given the co-starring roles of a lifetime: the parents of an autistic child.  H-man was diagnosed with autism when he was two years old. Yes! Score! I knew we were different and special!  Seeing that we are so gifted at producing spectacular and unusual babies, we had another go.  Enter G-Love; our youngest boy. He is now two years old and his amazing gifts are still being revealed to us.  Fingers crossed he will not be too handsome because he is very funny and will make a great character actor someday.

Unlike the famous Evita, there is so much more I can think of to say to you!  This blog is about living a glittery life in the midst of the everyday business of being a working wife and mom.  Due to some luck and some amazing travel opportunities, I have experienced a lot of culture, food, and entertainment that I find many suburban moms want to know about.  Women are always asking me about my fashion and philosophy (no one is more surprised than I about that last one), and I have never been shy about sharing.  Why keep it all to myself when there is fabulosity in numbers?  Also, I see a lot of humor in life, and I love to articulate my observations.  Since poor Big Daddy only has so much listen in him, my audience here will be the beneficiaries of my wit and wisdom. 

Before you read on, please note the following disclaimer:

I will not be explaining my jokes.  If you read something you interpret as ignorant here, please keep in mind that it may in fact be quite clever, and it is possible you missed my point.  In this case, please re-read once you have your brain and your sense of humor with you. However, if you have read this twice now and are left with the impression that I was a tarty nine-year-old, do not understand the huge responsibility of raising a child with special needs, or begrudge my youngest the pleasure of having good looks, perhaps this drivel is not for you.  If you’re still with me: Welcome, and enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment